Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mardi Gras Memories

I have memories of those few Mardi Gras Days when the weather was too cold and DB or I were deemed "too sick" by our DM to go out to the parades. I still remember one Mardi Gras sitting on Maw Maw's (DGM) giant foot stool (big enough for two) so we could get as close as possible to the television to watch the parades while eating a piece of McKenzie's king cake.

This morning, I woke up with a full blown cold - sore throat, coughing, sneezing, stuffy head . . . you get the picture.


Today, instead of watching the parades on a foot stool, I have spent the entire day in bed (without even one piece of king cake), watching Jane Austen DVDs and doing some stitching.
I think stitching goes very well with Jane Austen and, based on the popularity of the designs by The Sampler Girl and many of the blogs I follow, I am not alone in this thought.

Today's Austen-thon marquee looks like this:
  1. Pride & Prejudice (1995 with Colin Firth - might as well start with the best)
  2. Sense & Sensibility (2009 - the recent Masterpiece Theatre version)
  3. Persuasion (mid 90s with Amanda Root & Ciaran Hinds)
  4. Persuasion (1971 BBC with Ann Firbank as Ann Elliot)
  5. Sense & Sensibility (Emma Thompson version) -- if I stay up that long
I wanted to watch Mansfield Park (1983 BBC with Sylvestra Le Touzel as Fanny Price), but am missing the second disc, I am sure it was removed from the player by DH or DS and not returned to the case so it will turn up soon. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 2010 Masterpiece Theatre version of Emma at my local library. I always like to see it before I buy it (or hint that I would like it for Mother's Day).

I also changed my blog header and background and checked up on all my favorite blogs (including yours ; ).

My lovely Mom has not only taken DS to her house for the day, she has delivered hot meals all day:
  1. Scrambled eggs (I still cannot duplicate the fluffiness of her eggs),
  2. Cauliflower soup (chicken broth, cauliflower, garlic & noodles -- great for congestion) and
  3. Grilled chicken with mashed potatoes.
She even boiled a chicken breast for our dog, who is doing very poorly.

The icing on the cake was the dozen red roses my DS delivered with lunch.


Thank your for stopping by, I hope you did not catch my cold while you were here.

We interrupt this blog post for the following non-paid endorsements:

Today made bearable by the makers of --

Kleenex, Sudacare Shower Soothers, Mucinex, Advil,

DVD players and the Remote Control.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Stephanie! I am sending lots of hugs and a CT chicken soup kiss for ya, sweet friend, that you are up and feeling well soon. Mom's are just the best!
    Take care of yourself ;) we love you
    Hugs
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karyn. I have not had a cold this bad since I was a kid, but I am feeling a bit better today (at least I am not constantly sneezing and coughing). Hope you all stay healthy and soon see some signs of spring.

    ReplyDelete