Wednesday, July 7, 2010

DVD: Mother Teresa

I watched this movie with my DS last night and thought he would fall asleep during the movie since it was past his bedtime, but he not only stayed wide awake, but fully engaged in the movie. After the movie, he was full of questions. We will be reading The Simple Path and Come Be My Light, both written by Mother Teresa between now and the start of school (just 31 days away).  The movie begins with Mother Teresa already in India as a teacher in a convent school, after 20 years in India she receives a calling to a new vocation to help the poor and petitions Rome for  the creation of a new congregation, The Missionaries of Charity. She was fully aware that the work she did was only "a drop in the bucket", but she dedicated herself to her vocation completely.  Her unfaltering faith in the provision of God is awe inspiring. She left the comfort of the convent to live with the "poorest of the poor": the sick and dying, the lost and the lepers.  She lived for today and had faith that God would provide for tomorrow.  Her strength and simplicity is inspirational to all, whatever your belief system.

"At the end of our lives, we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made or how many great things we have done.

We will be judged by
‘I was hungry and you gave me to eat.
I was naked and you clothed me.
I was homeless and you took me in.'
Hungry not only for bread-but hungry for love.

Naked not only for clothing-but naked of human dignity and respect.

Homeless not only for want of a room of bricks-but homeless because of rejection.

This is Christ in distressing disguise."
HIGHLY recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment